(Animation Play Back!! | Kizuna staff and cast comments)
The official DigiFes 2019 event (held at the Maihama Amphitheater on July 28, 2019) had a “20th Anniversary Memorial Pamphlet” sold on-site. The first section, “Animation Play Back!!”, contained comments from staff for all of the Digimon animated series released to date:
Continue reading “DigiFes 2019 20th Anniversary Memorial Pamphlet — Animation Play Back!!”
- Digimon Adventure: Hiromi Seki (producer) and Hiroyuki Kakudou (series director)
- Digimon Adventure 02: Hiromi Seki (producer) and Hiroyuki Kakudou (series director)
- Digimon Tamers: Hiromi Seki (producer) and Yukio Kaizawa (series director)
- Digimon Frontier: Hiromi Seki (producer) and Yukio Kaizawa (series director)
- Digimon Savers: Atsutoshi Umezawa (producer), Hiroaki Shibata (producer), and Naoyuki Itou (series director)
- Digimon Xros Wars: Hiroyuki Sakurada (producer), Tetsuya Endou (series director), and Yukio Kaizawa (series director)
- Digimon Universe Appli Monsters: Daichi Nagatomi (producer) and Gou Koga (series director)
- Digimon Adventure tri.: Yousuke Kinoshita (producer) and Keitarou Motonaga (director)
A translation of the voice cast and staff interviews from the booklet included with the Digimon Tamers Blu-ray Box (released April 3, 2018), which featured group interviews with the following:
Continue reading “Digimon Tamers Blu-ray Box — Special Cast and Staff Interview 2018”
- Voice actors Masako Nozawa (Guilmon), Makoto Tsumura (Takato Matsuda), Aoi Tada (Terriermon), Mayumi Yamaguchi (Jianliang Lee), Fumiko Orikasa (Ruki Makino), Youko Asada (Juri Katou), and Susumu Chiba (Mitsuo Yamaki)
- Staff members Hiromi Seki (producer), Chiaki Konaka (lead writer), Yukio Kaizawa (series director), and Hiroyuki Kakudou (unit director)
A translation of the voice cast and staff interviews from the booklet included with the Digimon Adventure 02 15th Anniversary Blu-ray Box (released March 2, 2016), which featured comments from the following:
Continue reading “Digimon Adventure 02 15th Anniversary Blu-ray Box — Special Interview 2016”
- Voice actors for the main six Chosen Children and their Digimon partners
- Producer Hiromi Seki
- Director Hiroyuki Kakudou
- Lead writers Atsushi Maekawa and Genki Yoshimura
An interview from the Digimon Official Super Encyclopedia (デジモン公式超図鑑) published on April 4, 2003 (one month after Digimon Frontier had finished airing). The interview is with perennial series staff members Hiromi Seki, Hiroyuki Kakudou, and Yukio Kaizawa, covering production behind Digimon Adventure, Adventure 02, Tamers, and Frontier.
Continue reading “Digimon Official Super Encyclopedia — Interview with Hiromi Seki, Hiroyuki Kakudou, and Yukio Kaizawa”
A translation of a blog post from April 27, 2018 by Adventure and Adventure 02‘s director Hiroyuki Kakudou, discussing the Mimi and Lilimon MegaHouse PVC figure and the development behind character Mimi Tachikawa, posted April 27, 2018.
Director Kakudou often writes blog posts introducing various Digimon toys and figures, along with some trivia about Digimon production. Upon introducing the relevant Mimi and Lilimon figure, he then wrote about Mimi in a Twitter thread in response to a commenter, after which he decided to move the content back into the blog post due to its significance.
Continue reading “Mimi Tachikawa and Lilimon”
A translation of various blog posts from original Digimon Adventure series director Hiroyuki Kakudou, discussing the lead-up to the Digimon Adventure: reboot and its relationship to the original Digimon Adventure series from 1999.
Continue reading “Digimon Adventure director Hiroyuki Kakudou’s initial comments on the Digimon Adventure: reboot”
An interview from the Digimon Series Memorial Book: Digimon Animation Chronicle (デジモンシリーズ メモリアルブック デジモンアニメーションクロニクル) published on February 10, 2010 (between the airings of Digimon Savers and Digimon Xros Wars).
The book is a comprehensive compilation of Digimon anime series concept art and character/concept details, and is recommended as an extremely valuable resource especially for artists and cosplayers. As there is an incredibly large amount of text in this book, translating the entire thing would be a very difficult and borderline impractical task (although the very wonderful onkei has translated a very large chunk of it on her own blog). However, near the end of the book is a long and comprehensive interview with perennial series staff members Hiromi Seki, Hiroyuki Kakudou, and Yukio Kaizawa, which I felt would be of interest, so I have taken the liberty of translating it below.
Continue reading “Digimon Series Memorial Book: Digimon Animation Chronicle — Special interview with Hiromi Seki, Hiroyuki Kakudou, and Yukio Kaizawa”
The “American Box Bug” (アメリカハコムシ, America hakomushi) is a staff joke referenced in the preview for episode 17 of Digimon Adventure 02 (“Odaiba Memorial”) and the drama CD “Armor Evolution to the Unknown“. It otherwise has little relevance to Digimon, but Adventure 02 director Hiroyuki Kakudou described the backstory behind the joke on his website, so I took the liberty of translating it here.
Continue reading “The Mystery of the American Box Bug”
Translated from Hiroyuki Kakudou (director for the original Digimon Adventure and Adventure 02)’s blog post from May 30, 2018, discussing his involvement — and eventual lack thereof — in the project eventually revealed to be Digimon Adventure LAST EVOLUTION Kizuna.
Continue reading “In regards to the new Digimon project”
Hiroyuki Kakudou, director of Digimon Adventure and Adventure 02, has a little part on his website where he’d commented on the individual Digimon Frontier episodes he directed.
(This Week’s Digimon | This Week’s Digimon 02 | This Week’s Digimon Tamers | This Week’s Digimon Frontier)
Continue reading “Hiroyuki Kakudou’s “This Week’s Digimon Frontier””