A translation of the “Personal Life Info” portions of the Digimon Adventure Character Complete File (デジモンアドベンチャー キャラクター完全ファイル), detailing information about the Digimon Adventure and Adventure 02 kids’ home lives, all written in-character.
Note that the sections for the Adventure kids are meant to be read as being from the perspective of their Adventure-era selves in 1999, whereas the Adventure 02 ones are naturally written from their perspective in 2002. (For these particular portions, Hikari and Takeru are classified as Adventure 02 kids.)
Taichi Yagami & Agumon
Introducing my room
Hikari and I share a room. We have a bunk bed, and two separate desks and sets of drawers. But lately, Hikari seems to have been pretty antsy about that. Whenever she calls her friends over to visit, she seems pretty embarrassed whenever she has to say “I share a room with my brother.” I guess I’d say I’m pretty embarrassed, too. Well, it seems like we’re going to get our own rooms once I start middle school, so I’ll just have to put up with this for a bit longer. Oh, I also currently sleep in the top bunk.
Agumon: We slept in the same bed when I came to Tokyo!
Taichi: It did end up getting a bit cramped, though.
Introducing Taichi’s family
A super super bright husband and a cute wife
My dad’s the kind you can rely on when it really comes down to it, and my mom’s the laid-back type who comes off more as an older sister than a mom. They’re both naturally super important to me. And then there’s my little sister, Hikari…she’s really delicate, so I have to take good care of her!
Yamato Ishida & Gabumon
My home’s dining room
My old man and I live together, just the two of us, but since he’s constantly busy with work, I end up having to do most of the housework. Naturally, I do the cooking every day and get our meals ready. I think we’ve gotten quite a few condiments and ingredients stocked up in here. I did the cooking when Takeru came to visit earlier, too. But we’re a household of guys, and it’s a mess and everything is cluttered, so it’s pretty embarrassing.
Gabumon: Yamato, your miso1 mackerel was delicious ♡
Yamato: Thanks, Gabumon!
Introducing Yamato’s family
A wild and frenetic producer who wolfs down the food his son labored so hard over
Yamato’s mother, living in a different household: Natsuko
My old man is a producer for press media. It’s hard to tell what time he’ll ever come home, so we don’t get to see each other much. It’s why Mom started to get tired of him…But when he’s at work, he really is the coolest.
Sora Takenouchi & Piyomon
Introducing my room
My mom teaches traditional Japanese flower arrangement2, so we live in a Japanese-style home. My room is Japanese-style, too, which means it doesn’t have much of a girly atmosphere to it. The tatami3 straw flooring kind of calms me down, so I love it. You can see the ocean from my room, so whenever the weather is good, it feels amazing! It’s become part of my daily routine to send out emails while sitting by the window and looking out at the ocean.
Piyomon: Sora~♡ The tatami feels really nice!
Sora: I love it, too!
Introducing Sora’s family
Two parents following completely different areas of expertise, with their own unique ways
My dad teaches folklore studies at a university. He also studies Digimon, alongside Jou-senpai’s older brother. My mom is a Grand Master for a school of traditional Japanese flower arrangement. It seemed like she didn’t care for my passion for soccer at first5, but now she’s come to understand.
Koushirou Izumi & Tentomon
Introducing my study room!!
My room has led to many occasions in which everyone gathers and holds meetings in it, so I’ve been putting everything into keeping it as clean and tidy as I can. But because I’ve ended up gathering a large number of books anytime I want to know something, it’s been difficult to get them all in order. And whenever I finally manage to get them in order, I end up collecting even more…What should I do?
Koushirou: The most important thing is that they’re easy to use.
Tentomon: Good ol’ Koushirou-han!
Introducing Koushirou’s family
We’re not related by blood, but…
My actual parents passed away in an accident when I was very young. My current parents are distant relatives of my birth father, but they consider me to be their real son…Father, Mother, thank you.
Jou Kido & Gomamon
Introducing my study room
This is my room, where I study. I was planning to study here every day during my summer vacation, but things got messed up when I ended up going to the Digital World. But I’ve learned that there are a lot of important things beyond just studying, so I think our adventure was a good experience for me. Ah, incidentally, when we were fighting Vamdemon, Shin-niisan managed to escape everyone’s notice because he was sleeping in the closet.
Jou: I end up staying in this room a lot during summer break.
Gomamon: …Jou, you really gotta go out and take a breather sometimes.
Introducing Jou’s family
My warm and kind brothers, who are watching over me
Shin and Shuu
I have two older brothers. The older one is Shin-niisan, who’s a medical student. During our fight with Vamdemon, he managed to escape everyone’s notice because he was sleeping in the closet, and ended up helping us a lot. The other one is Shuu-niisan, who’s also interested in Digimon.
Mimi Tachikawa & Palmon
Our esteemed dining room
Our home’s kitchen is in line with my Mama’s tastes, and it’s suuuuper cute! This is where she comes up with her cooking ideas. Also, also, my current favorite is kimchi fried rice6 topped with whipped cream! And when you put a strawberry on top of it, it’s the best!! I had Palmon try some, but it doesn’t seem to have stuck with her. I guess she just doesn’t get it~
Palmon: Mimi…I don’t think I can handle this…
Mimi: Fried eggs with sugar and nattou7 are the best ♡
Introducing Mimi’s family
My constantly lovey-dovey Papa and Mama
My Papa and Mama dote on each other like they’re still newlyweds, and it’s honestly kind of embarrassing. But lately, I’ve started to think it’s actually kinda cute. My Mama comes up with all kinds of new cooking ideas, and Papa eagerly awaits them!
Daisuke Motomiya & V-mon
The great exhibition of my room!
This is the room where Chibimon and I hang out together. My mom and my sis keep nagging and nagging me to clean it up, and it gets real annoying. I mean, I get it, and it is pretty filthy, so I don’t really have anything to say to that, but I get the feeling I’m not the only one who keeps messing things up…hey, Chibimon! You’re the one leaving crumbs from all the snacks you’ve been eating on my bed and desk, aren’t you!? I keep telling you not to eat things on my bed!!
V-mon: Let’s clean this place up, Daisuke…💦
Daisuke: Then you’d better help out, too!
Introducing Daisuke’s family
My carefree parents and my sister with a ridiculous definition of “common sense”8
Father, mother, and Jun
My place is always hustling and bustling. Mom and Dad made a huge fuss when Ken came to visit, and my sis is constantly falling in love with people and cooing all over them. It seriously gets way too noisy up in here. But then again, whenever one of us isn’t home, it doesn’t feel quite right.
Ken Ichijouji & Wormmon
Introducing Osamu-niisan’s and my room
When Osamu-niisan was here, we used to share this room. We dismantled the lower bunk of our bed and replaced it with a shelf, and remodeled it into something like a loft. You can go through the loft out into the balcony, so Wormmon would often go out and come back in through there. In remembrance of my brother, I’ve left the desk mostly in the same state he used it in. We’ve also put up a picture of him here.
Wormmon: I love sitting in the sun, out on the balcony with Ken-chan!
Ken: Yeah. Let’s do it again sometime.
Introducing Ken’s family
My mother, who’s easily moved to tears, and my father, who doesn’t say much but is reliable
Father, mother, and the departed Osamu-niisan
After I took off the Kaiser’s mask, witnessed Wormmon’s death in front of me, and lost consciousness, my father and mother were the ones most worried about me. Thanks to their love, we were able to put a stop to the growth of the Dark Seed within my body. Osamu-niisan, who had passed away, was an honor student, which led to me developing a complex. I probably modeled a bit of the Digimon Kaiser after him.
Miyako Inoue & Hawkmon
The convenience store of love and purity!?
My mom and dad run a convenience store, the Odaiba branch of the “i-Mart”9, which is on the first floor of our apartment building. It’s my number one recommended convenience store in Odaiba, so if you’re in the area, don’t forget to drop by, or you’ll miss out! Here, I’ll tell you what’s popular today. Firstly, we’ve got mineral water. This kind is exclusively sold here at the i-Mart. In summer, our shaved ice and our “Super Gulp Orange Drink” are also huge hits!
Hawkmon: Miyako-san, do you also sell kanpyoumaki10!?
Miyako: I recommend the mineral water!
Introducing Miyako’s family
A huge family of four siblings, running a convenience store in the apartment building!
Oldest brother: Mantarou
Oldest sister: Momoe
Second sister: Chizuru
My family is pretty big. There’s my dad, my mom, my older brother, and my two older sisters. We get told that we look pretty similar to each other, but isn’t that just because we’re all wearing glasses? Maybe we all inherited it.
Hikari Yagami & Tailmon
Introducing my new room
Now that my brother’s in middle school, we each have our own rooms. Although they ended up making things take up a lot more space, Papa and Mama helped lay things out, and now it’s like my own wonderful little castle! Back when I was sharing this room with my brother, I couldn’t really decorate it with anything particularly girly, but now I can do whatever I want, and so I made my room super cute! I’ve always wanted to put up lace curtains, so I did!
Tailmon: It’s nice to be able to do whatever you want now that you’re on your own.
Hikari: Although it is a bit lonely not having my brother around anymore.
Introducing Hikari’s family
About the Yagami family’s beloved cat, Miiko
Miiko’s been our cat for as long as I can remember. She and Tailmon are my beloved friends. Seven years ago, when a DigiEgg hatched into a Koromon, she got in a fight with him over her food.
Iori Hida & Armadimon
Introducing my grandfather’s kendo dojo
My grandfather teaches kendo at the police dojo. I am also allowed to attend once a week. My training is very strict, but the only way for me to become stronger is to put everything I have into it, so it is worth the effort. Beyond that, my grandfather has a particular taste for “Chu × 2 Jelly”, which he drinks after our training. I enjoy having conversation with him while he drinks.
Armadimon: Iori~ Chu × 2 Jelly is real tasty~♩
Iori: The fact that you get to have some without being part of the practice is unfair, Armadimon!
Introducing Iori’s family
My kind and strong mother, and my grandfather, who’s strict, but understands what I have to say
Departed father: Hiroki
My father knew about the existence of Digimon. He was a police officer, but was killed in the line of duty while acting as bodyguard to an important person. Since then, my grandfather has been helping my mother in raising me. I consider him to be a very trustworthy person. To me, my grandfather has become like my own father. He is a rather strict person, but he also understands me very well.
Takeru Takaishi & Patamon
Introducing my room
We’d only just moved to Odaiba in April, so our place still has the aura of a new home. My room would normally be a bit too big for me, since I’d be here by myself, but Patamon’s with me, so it’s always busy and never lonely. But I wish he’d be a bit more careful about where he puts himself when he sleeps…he keeps tossing and rolling around and hitting me whenever we go to bed at night, and he’s always slapping me in the face with his huge ears.
Takeru: Patamon, stop hitting me with your ears when you sleep!
Patamon: Huh? I’m not doing that, I swear!
Introducing Takeru’s family
My mom, who works actively as a nonfiction writer
Takeru’s father, living in a different household: Hiroaki
Ever since she divorced my dad, my mom has been raising me by herself as a single mother. I’m really grateful to her, but I do wish she’d be able to make peace with my dad. I’m sure my brother feels the same way.
- Miso = soybean sauce. Mackerel (saba) simmered in sweet miso sauce is a fairly standard Japanese dish.
- Sora’s mother Yoshiko is an iemoto (i.e. effectively a Grand Master) for a school of cultural preservation of traditions related to a Japanese art form — in Yoshiko’s case, ikebana (traditional Japanese flower arrangement).
- Tatami = The type of woven straw flooring typical of traditional Japanese-style rooms.
- Within Adventure and Adventure 02 itself, most of the parents’ names were not directly given within the anime — only Yamato and Takeru’s mother Natsuko (in Adventure episode 39 and Adventure 02 episode 47), Mimi’s parents Keisuke and Satoe (on a name plate in Our War Game!), Sora’s father Haruhiko (in Adventure 02 episode 33), Iori’s mother Fumiko (in Adventure 02 episode 16, ironically not named in this book), and Iori’s late father Hiroki (in Adventure 02 episode 47) were directly named within anime footage. All other parents from Adventure were only named in supplementary materials, such as books like this one and the Adventure novels, and there is a noticeable “pattern” in which their names are seemingly the same as their voice actors’, simply with different kanji — for instance, Yamato’s father Hiroaki (裕明) has a name that can be read in the exact same way as the given name of his voice actor, Hiroaki (広明) Hirata. However, the Adventure novels, which provide name readings, diverge when it comes to two characters: Sora’s mother 淑子 (voiced by Toshiko Fujita) and Koushirou’s mother 佳江 (voiced by Kae Araki). Although said names could theoretically be read as “Toshiko” and “Kae” in accordance with their voice actresses, the novels’ furigana renders their names as “Yoshiko” and “Yoshie”. These are the only two names with divergences, and so I’m not sure if this was intentional or a typographical error of some sort, but since this is the only official source on how these names are intended to be read, I’m going to go with that for the purposes of the translations on this blog.
- Much of the crux of the conflict between Sora and Yoshiko in the original Japanese version of Adventure came from the fact that Yoshiko expected Sora to succeed her as the iemoto heir and — at least ostensibly — was against Sora playing soccer because it would cut into her potential future duties as such (the specific example given being that its physicality would make it hard for her to take the “sitting on heels” position required in traditional Japanese formalities).
- Kimchi = Korean fermented vegetables (most commonly cabbage), usually seasoned with fairly spicy red chili. Kimchi fried rice is fairly pervasive in Korean cuisine (and reasonably well-known in Japan, thanks to cultural proximity). Kimchi fried rice with whipped cream and strawberries…not so much.
- Nattou = Japanese fermented soybeans, known for its extremely strong flavor and smell, leading it to be a very love-it-or-hate it food even within Japanese cuisine…let alone putting, uh, sugar on it. Or putting the resulting combo on eggs.
- Jun is described as buttonda (ぶっとんだ), effectively meaning she has a tendency to come to and act on logical conclusions that seem like a complete violation of the average person’s common sense.
- The Inoue family convenience store being called the “i-Mart” has a latent pun in that ai (愛) is, naturally, Japanese for “love”. Note that the name for the Crest/Digimental of Love is a bit different from the word used here; it’s usually aijou (愛情).
- Kanpyoumaki = a sushi roll made with dried gourd as the filling. This is a reference to Adventure 02 episode 6, and in general Hawkmon/Poromon is known for having a particular interest in traditional Japanese-style things.